Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Unwanted Behaviors

Title: Social Stories

Source: Mandy Jansen, Autism Consultant CESA 7

Behavior Objective: Through the use of social stories the student will decrease unwanted behaviors 9 out of 10 times.

Targeted age/grade: K-12 students who exhibit unwanted social behaviors.

Content Area: Social Skills

Procedure:
For students who are exhibiting unwanted behaviors within the classroom or in the halls, etc. social stories can be created to decrease or even curb the unwanted behaviors. First it needs to be determined what the unwanted behavior is and what is causing it. When the behavior is determined a social story can be created. The story should stay positive and reinforce why it is important not to exhibit the behavior. The story should emphasize why it is important not to exhibit the behavior and give examples of what to do in place of the unwanted behavior. In some cases a list or picture can be included with the story to help visual learners better understand what is expected of them.


Example:

When I Need Help

Sometimes people need help when they are doing their work. Sometimes when I am doing my work I don’t know how to answer all the questions. This is okay. When I don’t know the answer to the question I should try to remember to raise my hand and ask an adult for help. If the adult is busy I can skip the question and try to answer a different one. This is a good thing to do. My teachers will try to remind me what to do but I need to try to remember to raise my hand when I need help. Raising my hand and asking for help is the right thing to do in school.


No comments: